Getting Ready for the Next Big Step
It’s true that Kindergarten is a big step for every child — and if your child has been at Burleson Child Development Center, they have been preparing for it longer than they know. But even if your child is enrolling in our child care for the first time, our teachers’ number one priority in Pre-K is making sure your child has the skills to excel in Kindergarten and beyond.
Our teachers understand that the attitude children develop about school will follow them all through their academic years. That’s why we implement the Texas School Ready Program and use the Scholastic Early Childhood Program.
What is Texas School Ready!™?
Texas School Ready!™ is a program that certifies preschool education classrooms that effectively prepared their students for kindergarten.
Texas School Ready!™ is based on the actual linking between:
- the quality instructional practices that must be in place in a preschool program to get children ready for kindergarten AND
- the children actually achieving scores showing they were on track in the areas of reading and social skills when they went to kindergarten.
The Texas State Center for Early Childhood Development, housed in the Children’s Learning Institute at the University of Texas-Houston, has very in-depth experience in conducting early education research. Our research and the research in the field at large shows clearly that if children do not experience a high quality preschool program that focuses on getting them ready for school, they will often have trouble when they go to kindergarten.
The Texas School Readiness Certification System can be used to:[ticklist]
- Prepare more children for school readiness
- Focus on proven and demonstrated outcomes and
- Provide parents with tools to make informed decisions.
The research is clear. A high-quality, systematic preschool curriculum is critical to preparing all children for future success in school—especially those who are at risk.
The Scholastic Early Childhood Program is a comprehensive, year-long curriculum that:
- Provides explicit instruction in early language, reading, and math skills.
- Combines child-centered explorations with teacher-directed instruction.
- Has a flexible and easy-to-use format.
- Provides in-depth formal and informal assessment.
- Includes rich English and Spanish resources.
- Integrates Professional Development into each lesson plan.
- Features activities for families to extend the learning day.